Thursday, January 26, 2012

Class Reflection 1-26-12

It's 5:12 and I am sitting here in class refreshing my memory of what we covered last week, remembering how to log in to my blog and google account took a couple tries... I'm sure I will remember it for next time;)

Also going to need to remember frimoth.com, looks like I will spend a lot of time here for the next two months.  I am happy to say that we are going to look at wordle.net because I have actually seen it before:)

Wow, the first two videos are impressive with the numbers and so true.  We have to stop staying where we as adults are comfortable and start working in the realm of our students.  Through our discussion we are reminded that we do need to manage the technology.  We still are responsible for thoughtful instruction and holding high standards for our students. Technology in the wrong hands can be a dangerous or scary thing.  In the correct hands it can do great things... guess it is a lot like money;) It is just frustrating when people have a lack of understanding and create barriers to positive use... again several parallels to real-life, real-world issues.  

The best part of class is the rich discussion and hearing different perspectives and examples from other schools and realms.  It is so easy to get stuck into our realm of doing "the things we do" without ever being aware of other issues in other districts/positions.  

I am leaving class tonight with excitement about my final project because I can work on a project that is relevant to my job (Thank you) and hopefully have an impact on the technology that is being used in our district.  I have some lofty ideas about technology and I am hoping through this class I can do a temperature check to see how realistic/informed some of my ideas are. 

Thanks for reading.  Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you feel good about the freedom to craft your final project as you need to. It always works out better that way! I've taught this class for three years now and those numbers still befuddle me in that video. It cries out for us to do things differently. We'll get into what that means as the class goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! As educators, in a misguided effort to control and keep students safe, we are suppressing the very tools that our students will need to excel in coming years. Wouldn't it be better to teach them how to use them thoughtfully? Years ago I took a workshop in "media literacy" and the importance of teaching students how to navigate the flood of information they are exposed to. This was before texting, twitter and facebook. It seems even more important to teach effective use of these tools now that there is even more information to synthesize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology is here to stay (and evolve even more from where it is today) and we do need to figure out a way to incorporate it into what we do. I think we need to find the balance so we can use technology for growth, communication and learning to help students (and ourselves) grow.

      Delete