Thursday, February 2, 2012

2-2-12

Well... what a day.  Had to come to class late today due to a technology meeting that I have to facilitate.  It was a good meeting and I am very excited about the direction that our conversations are headed. Small side note.... Dear DHS, please do the right thing.

We took the opportunity to share +/- examples regarding use of technology.  After hearing what others are sharing I am feeling positive about some of the new conversations we are having in our district.  We are "behind" in regards to our technology implementation, however, we ARE headed in the right direction.  We ARE having the right conversations regarding new platforms for student portfolios and eliminating the "U" drive (local storage for students).  I loved hearing what other districts are doing because I now have a direct link for advice on some of the issues I know we will have.  Likewise, we can learn form what works / or not in other districts.  Admittedly it has taken a while to get there and we have a ways to go, but we are headed down the correct path.  Woo Hoo!!!!!

I love the idea of remoteness shared in the video...  because I live there.  Wow, so many of the comments seem to be real (quality of teachers, teacher retention).  I would argue that we DO have good, no, Great teachers in our small and remote community.  They care about the community and the students where they live and work hard to support learning in meaningful ways.  Don't get me wrong, we can all improve and continue to grow. And the example shared about the younger children teaching the older ones... hummm... are our students teaching us about technology on a daily basis?  The best line in the video was the point where the question was raised about replacing teachers with technology... if this can happen, then they should be.  I believe the art of teaching is bringing the curriculum alive and teachers should use technology as a vehicle to reach out to students, get them engaged and guide them in thoughtful learning. 

This past week I have had many conversations about technology, how it is used in the district, and where our vision of technology will lead us in the future.  These conversations have been promising and I feel like my conversations from a few years back are starting to take hold.  I have a revived hope for the future in our district and am excited that I am learning new skills to help guide the journey. 










3 comments:

  1. I think your statement " I believe the art of teaching is bringing the curriculum alive and teachers should use technology as a vehicle to reach out to students, get them engaged and guide them in thoughtful learning." is exactly correct. Teachers should not be replaced by "machines" as the video called it. Think of the workers in manufacturing facilities that have been replaced by robots......they still need people there. Perhaps replacing isn't the idea. Perhaps embracing and using the tools to enhance and support the work is the right path to be on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear your encouraging statements about the direction of your school district in regards to technology. I think you're in a prime position to have a great influence in your district and I'm excited to see what happens. Effective tech integration can only begin with excellent educators, who understand pedagogy, have a progressive learning theory and see technology as a tool. Please keep me posted as you move in this direction.

    ReplyDelete